The National Academy for Planning and Development (NAPD) is one of the leading national training institutes under the Ministry of Planning of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. The NAPD started its journey as a development project titled “Development of the Planning Machinery in Bangladesh (Creation of Institutional facilities for training in Planning and Development)” in 1980 with an aim to developing professional skills of the officials on the job of the government, semi-government and autonomous bodies associated with the planning and development activities. In 1984 the Academy shifted to its own building located at Nilkhet, Dhaka and transferred to revenue set up of the government. In 1985 the Board of Governors of the Academy is declared as a “body corporate” by the Government. Since then, it has been imparting extensive training to the officials of different Government and non-Government agencies to make them capable to face the challenges of 21st Century. The Academy for Planning and Development was announced as an institute under the ordinance “The Government Educational and Training Institutions ordinance-1961” on February 03, 1985 and an order was issued to make it effective.
On 12 June, 2007 the name of the Academy has been redesignated as the National Academy for Planning and Development in a meeting of Board of Governors (BOG). On 30 August, 2009 it emerged as National Academy for Planning and Development (NAPD) with due approval from the Honorable Prime Minister. The silver jubilee of NAPD was observed on 03 March, 2010 with the kind presence of Hon’ble Prime Minister.
Vission and Mission
To become one of the leading training institutes in the field of planning and development in the country by 2025.
Developing competent and morally strong professionals in planning and development through training, research and consultancy.
THE GOALS OF THE ACADEMY
1. To organise institutional in-service training programs for the officers of the Planning Commission, Economic Relations Division (ERD), Implementation Monitoring and Evaluation Division (IMED), Planning Wings under different Ministries/Divisions and Agencies;
2. To arrange Special foundation training for the officers of the BCS (Health) cadre and non-cadre officers;
3. To provide consultancy services to the ministries and other agencies in pre-investment feasibility studies and in formulation, appraisal, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
4. To facilitate dissemination of knowledge and experience in planning, development economics, project management and in other fields through publication, documentation, seminars and workshops; and
5. To conduct research and evaluation studies on development issues and maintain liaison with similar organisations at home and abroad.
Message from DG